Wednesday, February 12, 2014

a side note, orchids

So towards the end of last season, "someone" had left a very dried out looking orchid by my planters; leaves looked "eh", one leaf kinda burned, etc.

Not quite sure why but something my friend Bruce mentioned to me once was that orchids go dormant and that stuck out for me.  So I took in this abandoned, red-headed stepchild of an orchid in and did what I used to see Bruce do:  soak the whole plant/pot in water for an hour or so and then just ignore it.  (disclosure:  Bruce used to have a lot of orchids and he knew how to handle 'em)

So I soaked the orchid once a week and even bought some fertilizer.  I fed the plant a very watered down amount of fertilizer and lo and behold a new shoot and a couple new leaves sprouted!  Then about two months after the first soaking, buds started to appear and a couple weeks after that, they started to bloom.

All tolled (so?) I got 8 amazing flowers that have lasted well over one month!  Moral of the story:  looks can be deceiving.


  









No comments:

Post a Comment